Wednesday, April 27, 2011

time is a funny thing....

It was 7 months ago that I set out looking for the castle of Saint-Priest on my own, clinging to my new cell phone in case I got lost and needed to call for help, nervously looking over my shoulder in fear of being the victim of pick-pocketing or worse. Everything was so different and scary, I knew no one, I had no idea how to get anywhere, my French was raw and I felt like passersby could smell the lingering stench of America. (I say stench because I was under the impression the French didn't necessarily like Americans, nor would they be too happy to have me wandering around their town... who knew how wrong this stereotype was!)

I went on a similar walk this morning, however this time I didn't get lost, didn't need to ask someone for directions (looking back, how on Earth did I miss the château the first go-around???), didn't worry a bit about being hassled... and the only anxiety I felt was due to the fact that I leave to come home in less than 24 hours! I passed now familiar buildings, the boulodrome and the soccer stadium, my doctor's office and the concert hall. I didn't worry so much about looking American or not fitting in (especially sporting French shoes and clothes hehe), and the only reason I felt slightly uncomfortable was due to my clothes fitting a little tighter than they did back in October (damn you French pastries!!!). 

It's funny how much can change in only a matter of 7 months. I went into a boulangerie with ease, not worrying about what I would order or how I would say it. I may not have the most authentic of French accents, but I certainly don't stutter or fumble for my words like I used to... and I can certainly understand everything going on around me. (I still wish my French was better, but I'm sure if my old self and new self met, the new self would laugh at old self's French!)

On this first walk around Saint-Priest, I remember being nervous about work and how the classrooms, teachers, and kids would be different. I'd pass kids with their parents and think- will they be in one of my classes? How will I get there? What will I teach? Will I babysit or tutor for extra money? Will I have enough time and money to travel? Everything was so uncertain- and look at me now!

I had a mostly wonderful experience teaching in the schools and I really enjoyed getting to know my colleagues and students. When I was at the boulangerie this morning, I heard, "Maman, c'est Leensay!!!" I turned around to see a student from my Monday school who was wishing me bon voyage and bonnes vacances. I passed by a park I sat at on my second or third venture into the village of Saint-Priest and remembered thinking.... hmmm wonder if these people need/want an English speaking babysitter? And although I didn't have a lucrative tutoring and babysitting schedule these last 7 months- I miraculously found one of the nicest families I could have possibly found... and they've done more than enough to make me feel at home and welcome in this country.

I worried about whether or not my friends and family would follow-through with plans to come visit (and thank goodness they did!!!). I worried about making friends and whether or not I would travel on my own (hurray for new friends!!). I worried about maintaining a long-distance relationship (and I do mean longggg)... but everything turned out better than I could have imagined (yay sparkly ring on my finger haha!). 

I won't say that I haven't had a few rough patches while living abroad- especially after my computer died, when I had the flu, feeling homesick and sad after each time a visitor from home left, and having to be a big girl all grown up and figuring things out on my own in a foreign country.... but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I'm leaving with no regrets, files of beautiful pictures, confidence in my traveling skills, new friends, a unique teaching experience, a fantastic French vocabulary;), and a blog full of memories. Who could ask for more??

The last few weeks I've had a lot of people ask me: Which country do you like better? Do you prefer living in France? Will you ever move here permanently? Of course the answer, for me, is no. My home is where my family is and although I love many things about France, there are many things I miss about home too. This won't be the last time I am in France, I will surely visit again (and again and again?)... but I don't think I would ever be able to say that I prefer it over my home. I know there will be aspects about living à la francaise that I will come to miss (probably more than I expect)... so I'll just have to come back for a little taste every once in a while:) So until we meet again mon amie, so long France!

See you on the flip side! Thanks for reading!
Reste cool:)

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection....sounds like 7 months well spent - now that's it's just about all said and done!

    ReplyDelete