Wednesday, April 20, 2011

last day with simone signoret (the school, not the actress)

Yesterday was another happy/sad day of goodbyes, cute cards and hugs from students, and a gift from my colleagues. During the school day, I sang songs and played games with the kids...semi-reviewing what we'd done all year, but also allowing them to let off some steam. They were all wound up!! I later found out the reason was probably because they had a special surprise for me from all the classes- a big card with all their signatures and classroom pictures... and they were all taking turns to sign it throughout the day. In my last class, which was super duper crazy until I started our jeopardy game, they presented it to me at the end. It was really sweet and probably something I will keep for a long time. In most classes I answered some questions about taking a plane home and what I'd be doing next year. Some kids were so sweet, saying everything to stow me in your bags to I love you with allll my heart lol. Very sweet.

During the morning break, Pierre came in to wish me a happy last day and to invite me out to lunch with the staff. Thankfully I had already been warned not to bring my lunch by Elise;) And then at midi-  a few of us crammed into Pierre's "big" car and a few others into another to go into the village for pizza.

I had always wondered what this little pizzeria was like... so I'm glad I finally got to try it! Pierre walked in like he owned the place, shaking hands with the barman and the guy making the pizzas. He announced that we were here in honor of their American English teacher and pointed me out... so then I shook hands with them too lol. They sat us down at a long table outside; there were 9 of us total- Pierre, Martine (CP teacher), Nathalie, Elise, Mireille (teacher I taught extra classes for), Perrine (teacher I helped with American breakfast), moi, Corinne, and Souad (a very nice special education aid who's always grabbing my hand to look at my engagement ring lol). Of course by now, I know to expect these "individual" pizzas to be pretty hefty... so I thought about ordering something else. When I realized everyone else was ordering pizza, I thought- welp, when at a pizzeria, guess you should order pizza. I ordered the "village" pizza with jambon crue and oeuf, so a pizza with cheese, a fried egg, and slices of prosciutto like ham. It may sound weird, but boy was it delicious. I ate it all, despite being one of the last to finish. I don't know how they eat so much food so quickly!

As we were having our cafés, Elise and Nathalie pulled out a present for me to open. I had just told them I was thinking I'd need another suitcase because I had been given a cookbook from a student... when wouldn't you know it! I got another cookbook! This one, however, is amazing:) It has 900 different French recipes, beautiful pictures, calorie counts, and menus to explain what goes well together. I also got a pair of earrings that are very cute and have been wearing all day today!

It was sad to say goodbye to a few, but for the most part I will see all of these teachers again. Elise, Eve (who was sick yesterday), Nathalie, and Mireille are taking me on a whirl-wind French adventure Friday night. We're going to Mireille's house for a gouté, then to an outdoor shopping mall to walk around and eat a quick dinner, then we're going bowling, and we're finishing up with a night of dancing at a really interesting looking place in Saint-Priest. http://www.vivabodega.com/

Today, Corinne came to help me decide on a suitcase and a few other items to bring home with me. She needed to do some Easter egg shopping, so it worked out nicely to walk around leisurely shopping for stuff! Their Easter eggs by the way, are like our chocolate bunnies. They get huge eggs to eat and then they hide little chocolate eggs to find. Very few French people aren't shocked to hear we use real decorated eggs. Most people say, well that's no fun at all! Who wants a real egg when you can have chocolate eggs!?!

On our way back home from Porte des Alpes, I told Corinne that I still hadn't heard back from the lady at the mairie to know whether or not I can stay in my apartment the Tuesday night after she checks it out. They won't be back from Marseille until Wednesday, so after she helped me carry up my groceries, Corinne took down her number to get it worked out for me:) She called me back a little later saying that I could stay in my apartment Tuesday night and that Wednesday night, they'd come pick me up, I'd spend the night, they'd take me to the airport in the morning, and then they'd drop the keys off at the mairie on their way home. Hurray for things coming together!! If for some reason I still haven't heard back from my bank tomorrow afternoon, I may ask Corinne to help me with that too. Things seem to just get taken care of much more quickly/easily with a native speaker on your side!

Only one more day of school left!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment